A List of Trivial Food Things I Haven’t Done
I am in my upper sixties, moderately healthy, a widower, and still a working guy. I enjoy every day that passes, especially days that I can focus on food.
Sounds like a profile in the Our Time Seniors dating app. I can assure you it’s not. I deactivated my Our Time account. My fingers got tired of swiping left or right. I’ve convinced myself to pass on online dating. If there’s another woman in my future then she will magically materialize.
Since I’m no longer spending time staring at the app, I started thinking about the trivial things in life about food that I haven’t done.
Here’s a short list I put together of some of the things I thought about:
- I’ve never eaten waffles at the Waffle House. The few times I go, I eat bacon, hash browns and eggs with whole wheat toast.
- I’ve never eaten pancakes at the IHOP. I always eat hamburgers because I go at lunchtime. Although a few years ago, I took two of my granddaughters there for Thanksgiving dinner. It wasn’t good.
- I’ve never eaten Chili at Chili’s. While not a bad place to eat, many other things on the menu attract me.
- I’ve never been to TGI Fridays on a Friday. I don’t go out on Fridays or Saturdays. Too many people are out, and I enjoy my solitude.
- Do you know anyone that’s ever had crackers at the Cracker Barrel?
A strange list that is true. But I’m not going to do anything to change it.
Will I ever eat waffles at the Waffle House? I doubt it; I’m not a waffle fan. How about pancakes at the IHOP? Nope, I only eat pancakes I make. What about Chili at Chilis? I have a friend who manages a Chilis location; he warns against it for various reasons.
Since I’m on the topic of food, here are a few current observations:
- Happy Hours at good restaurants and bars are better and more fun than eating with a Senior Discount. Nothing beats a few drinks at the bar with a few small plates of various appetizers and calling it dinner.
- Most restaurants that used to have lunch menus with price ranges from seven to…